Design Principles Final Project



Week 12(11/11/2019)-Week 13(18/11/2019)
Alfie Koh Chen Fong(0340310)
Design Principles Final Project



INSTRUCTION 




Final Project

For our final project, we need to produce a work of design that represents our relationship with culture. I went to China town and a Chinese temple which called "Guan Di Temple"(关帝庙).

I take some photos and try to have some inspiration for my final project.

IMG 1.01 Stone lion is always appears in Chinese culture

IMG 1.02 The decoration is very nice, I think it was graved by stone. You can see the repetition, curves and more design principles inside.

IMG 1.03 Chinese style gate

IMG 1.04 Texture of rock 

IMG 1.05 This stone lion is as big as a adult.

IMG 1.06 A general standing at the left side of the door


IMG 1.07 A dragon


IMG 1.08 Looks like the temple is having some works

IMG 1.09 There are 3 censer on the table which are for worship

IMG 1.10 A bell, it looks very heavy

IMG 1.11 We can throw some "gold paper" inside the building and burn it.

IMG 1.12 There are some decoration on the roof

IMG 1.13 Actually I don't really understand the meaning

IMG 1.14 The world "世界和平" means world peace

IMG 1.15 I think the room is only available for the workers of the temple

IMG 1.16 A beautiful Chinese ink art 

IMG 1.17 I remember red plates are always appear in my grandfather's house,
Chinese always believe red color represents good luck

IMG 1.18 We wash our hands before and after worship

IMG 1.19 The workers of the temple are folding the "gold paper".
Chinese believe that "gold paper" is the money of dead person.

IMG 1.20 I saw a lot of dragons inside the temple

IMG 1.21 There is a lot of names on the golden post, for the
 respect I didn't took the photo closely.

IMF 1.22 A ancient Chinese clothes which was made by paper

IMG 1.23 The paper reminds us to walk around the
table before do something, I think is worship

IMG 1.24 Chinese ink art

IMG 1.25 I think he is a fortune teller

IMG 1.26 Colorful dragon with a lot of details

IMG 1.27 Solumn statue of gods

For my final work, I decided to do by photoshop and Illustrator same as my project 2 because it will be more easier if i wan to add something complex. I am a Chinese, but my religion is Christianity, this inspired me     how can I start my final project. We know that Malaysia have a lot of races which are Indian,Chinese,Malay and etc. In addition, we also have buddist, christian, catholic and muslim.
So I wish I can make a image that all believer of their religion and all races are gathering in a
Mamak stall or Kopitiam which are the places that Malaysian love to gather inside. To prevent offend others' taboo, I will choose the suitable images carefully.






 At first, I drew out a little mamak stall in Illustrator, the worker is brewing Teh Tarik.(IMG 1.28) After that, I drew out three races which are Chinese, Indian and Malay from left side to the right side, table with some wallet and car key, and a background.(IMG 1.29) At last, I added some cities and clouds at the background. You can find there are moon and a star which represent Islam because it is the symbol relate to Islam.(IMG 1.30)







IMG 1.28 Mamak stall and the 



IMG 1.29 Added background and the people gathering


IMG 1.30 Added some details which are cities, clouds and the symbol that represent Islam

After that I move my picture to photoshop so that I can combine another photo. I added the stone lion and Rangoli to present Buddha and Hindu. So you can see there are the elements of Chinese, Indian, Malay, Buddha, Hindu and Islam inside. Different things gathering in same place. This is how my culture works.(IMG 1.31)


FEEDBACK

No feedback is given by lecturer.

Comments

Popular Posts