TYPOGRAPHY PROJECT 2


Typography Project 2

Week 7(09/10/19)-Week 9(23/10/19)
Alfie Koh Chen Fong(0340310)
Typography
Project 2 - Font Design




LECTURE 


Week 7(09/10/19):Basic/Describing letterforms 

This week Mr Vinod have a briefing with us about knowing the component parts of letterform so that we can identify specific typefaces easily.

Baseline: The imaginary line, the visual base of the letterforms.

Median: The imaginary line defining the x-height of the letterforms.

X-height: The height of lowercase "x" in any type which is the height between baseline and median.

IMG 1.01 The image show us ascender height, cap height, median, baseline, x-height and descender height

Stroke: Any line that define the basic letterform.(IMG 1.02)

Apex/Vertex: The point that contact two diagonal stems.(IMG 1.03-1.04)

Arm: Short stroke which off the stem of the letterform.(IMG 1.05)

IMG 1.02 Stroke line


IMG 1.03 Apex which is in above of letterform





IMG 1.04 Vertex which is in below of letterform

IMG 1.05 The arm of letterform

Ascender: The portion of the stem of a lowercase letterform that project above the median.
(IMG 1.06)

IMG 1.06 Ascender



Barb: The half-serif finish on some curved stroke.(IMG 1.07)



IMG 1.07 Barb

Beak: The half-serif finish on some horizontal arms.(IMG 1.08)



IMG 1.08 Beak

Bowl: The rounded form that describes a counter. The bowl may be either open or closed.(IMG 1.09)
IMG 1.09 Bowl

Bracket: The transition between the stem and serif.(IMG 1.10)
IMG 1.10 Bracket

Cross Bar: The horinzontal stroke in a letterform that join two stems together.(IMG 1.11)
IMG 1.11 Cross Bar

Cross Stroke: The horizontal stroke which is on the stem of letterform.(IMG 1.12)
IMG 1.12 Cross Stroke



Crotch: The interior space where two strokes meet.(IMG 1.13)

IMG 1.13 Crotch
Descender: The portion of the stem of a lowercase that projects below the baseline.(IMG 1.14)




IMG 1.14 Descender


Ear: The stroke extending out from the main stem or body of the letterform(IMG 1.15)

IMG 1.15 Ear



Em/en: Em originally refer to the width of an uppercase M. Now is the distance equal to the size of the typeface. En is half of em, most often used to describe em/en spaces and em/en dashes.
(IMG 1.16)

IMG 1.16 Em/en
Finial: The rounded non-serif terminal to a stroke.(IMG 1.17)


IMG 1.17 Finial



Leg: Short stroke off the stem of the letterform, either at the bottom of the stroke or inclined downward.(IMG 1.18)


IMG 1.18 Leg 


Ligature: The character formed by combination of two or more letterforms.(IMG 1.19)

IMG 1.19 Ligature

Link: The stroke that connects the bowl and the loop of a lowercase G.(IMG1.20)

Loop: In some typeface, the bowl created in the descender of the lowercase G.(IMG 1.20)


IMG 1.20 Link and Loop

Serif: The right-angled or oblique foot at the end of the stroke(IMG 1.21)

IMG 1.21 Serif


Shoulder: The curved stroke that is not part of a bowl.(IMG 1.22)

Spine: The curved stem of the S.(IMG 1.22)



IMG 1.22 Shoulder and spine


Spur: The extension the articulates the junction of the curved and rectilinear stroke.(IMG 1.23)

IMG 1.23 Spur


Stem: The significant vertical or oblique stroke.(IMG1.24)

IMG 1.24 Stem

Stress: The orientation of the letterform, indicated by the thin stroke in round form.(IMG 1.25)

IMG 1.25 Stress


Swash: The flourish that extend the stroke of the letterform.(IMG1.26)

IMG 1.26 Swash

Tail: The curved diagonal stroke at the finish of certain letterform.(IMG 1.27)


IMG 1.27


Terminal: The self-contained finish of a stroke without a serif. This is something of a catch-all term.Terminal may be flat('T' above), flare, acuted, grave, concave, convex or rounded as a ball or a teardrop(see finial).(IMG 1.28)

IMG 1.28 Terminal


Uppercase: Capital letters, including certain accented vowels, the c cedilla and n tilde, and the a/e and o/e ligatures.(IMG 1.29)

Lowercase: Lowercase include the same characters as uppercase.(IMG 1.30)

IMG 1.29 Uppercase

IMG 1.30 Lowercase
Small capital: Uppercase letterforms draw to the x-height of the typeface. Small caps are primarily found in serif fonts as part of what is often called expert set.(IMG 1.30)

IMG 1.30 Small capital


Uppercase numerals: Also called lining figures, these numerals are the same height as uppercase letter are all set to the same kerning width. They are most successfullt used with tabular material or in any situation that calls for uppercase letter.(IMG 1.31)

Lowercase numerals: Also know as old style figures or text figures. These numerals are set to x-height with ascender and descender. They are best used when ever you would use upper and lowercase letterform. Lowercase numerals are far less common in sans serif type-face than in serif.(IMG1.31)

IMG 1.31 Difference between uppercase and lowercase numerals


INSTRUCTION



Exercise

Week 7(09/10/19)-Week 9(23/10/19): Introduction of Project 2 

This week we were introduced about the details of project 2. For our project 2, we need to use Fontlab 5 and Adobe Illustrator. Mr Vinod ask us don't download Fontlab 6 because he doesn't know how to use it. Project 2 is about creating an own typeface. Mr Vinod asked us to choose one typeface from nine of the typeface he told us. He suggest us don't use thin or light typeface to do our font design. Firstly, we need to study the font carefully and dissect (d g i s n o e h t k r ! . ,) these 14 lowercase and numerals by using Adobe Illustrator. After these process, we can start our font design.

I sketch out my design which reference to typeface ITC GARAMOND STD BOOK. For the first idea, i try to make the edge longer and make the bottom of the curve straightly. Mr Vinod think just make the bottom straight is enough and he sketch out an "a" for an example.(IMG 7.01)

IMG 7.01 My first design, the right one is Mr Vinod's sketching 


These are the other design, but Mr Vinod didn't give the feedback about them so I just focus on my first design.(IMG 7.02)

IMG 7.02 I tried to separate, sharpen, shorten different parts of letterform

To understand the structure of letterform, I dissect these letter form carefully by using circles and lines.(IMG 7.03-7.05)

IMG 7.03 Dissection of 'i'

IMG 7.04 Dissection of 'g'

IMG 7.05 Dissection of 'd'
After dissection, I started my font design according to the video recording and the notes I take through the lecture section.(IMG 7.06)Mr Vinod asked us to set the x-height with 5000 width and 5000 height. And every words' distances is according to the black box which is 1000 height and 11000 width.(IMG 7.07)


IMG 7.06 The notes I taked through the lecture section, after that I start recording what lecturer is talking about

IMG 7.07 A space for only one letterform


After the setting, I started to design the first letterform "d". Mr Vinod said I can't draw the letterform according to the original letterform because it means we copy the original design. So I try to use rectangle tool, and try to cut it to into the shape I wan. After finish the first letterform, I made it outline stroke and copy it to Fontlab and it shows like this.(IMG 7.08-7.09)

IMG 7.08 The first letterform "d"


IMG 7.09 After copy to the fontlab


Mr Vinod advised me all the letterforms must made by same basic shape. So I will use a shape repeatly in different but similar letterforms.  So you can find that some shapes are used in different letterforms at the images below.(IMG7.10-7.22)
IMG 7.10 The construction of "d" using rectangle tools and pen tools

IMG7.11 The construction of "g" using rectangle tools and pen tools

The construction of "o" using rectangle tools and pen tools

IMG 7.13 The construction of "e" using pen tool and rectangle tool

IMG 7.14 The construction of "h" using pen tool and rectangle tool, some part of shapes are same with other letterforms

IMG 7.15 The construction of "l" using pen tool and rectangle tool, the head and tail are also the characteristic of my font.
IMG 7.16 The construction of "r" using pen and rectangle tool, also the shoulder was made based on the basic shape


IMG 7.17 The construction of "k" using pen and rectangle tool


IMG 7.18 The construction of "i" using pen and rectangle tool
IMG 7.19 The construction of "s" using pen tool, the hardest part is the spine


IMG 7.20 The construction of  "." just using the basic shape and make it smaller

 IMG 7.21 The construction of "," using pen tool and rectangle tool

IMG 7.22 The construction of "!" using basic shape 


IMG 7.23 All letterforms I made




After digitizing all the letterforms, I copy them into the fontlab and adjust the kerning.(IMG 7.24)
Also, I exported my font.
IMG 7.24 I copy my letterforms one by one into fontlab


IMG 7.25 The name of my font is "Fien first"



IMG 7.26 Adjusting my kerning of lettering

IMG 7.27 Install my font
After generating my font, the last step we need to do is create a poster and type "god is in the kerning" by using our font.(IMG 7.28-7.29)



IMG 7.28 The process of poster




IMG 7.29 Fien first regular on a sentence










FEEDBACK

Week 7(09/10/19)

Specific feedback: Mr Vinod said my blog have a very bad formatting. He said the images is messy and the typeface doesn't same. Also my blog shouldn't have two label of typography.

General feedback: It is important to explain our ideas through the caption below the images. We need to let viewer understant clearly what we talking about.

Week 8(16/10/19)

Specific feedback: I show my design of letterform to Mr Vinod. He said that don't draw out my design according to the reference because it means copy. We need to draw in our own style. Also, he advise me that i can shorten the edge of my letterform and make the middle space more round.

General feedback: We must update our blog after receiving the feedback because it can avoid us forget the feedback. Also, we need to remember update our progess of blog every week.

Week 9(23/10/19)


Specific feedback: Mr Vinod said my letterforms doesn't look like in the same family because of the inconsistency, he showed me how to make letterform correctly and advised me I should make letterforms according to a basic shape.


General feedback: We need to upload all letterforms to the blog including including the JPEG which have all letterforms inside. Also, name our typeface, type the sentence and print it out.



REFLECTION

Week 7(09/10/19)

Experience: This week Mr Vinod start briefing about project 2. I am worry about it because the experience of the project 1. I very focus on the lecture to avoid anything information is missed.

Observation: My classmates are very focus in the lecture section. The environment always affect me and remind me I must hardworking same as my classmates

Finding: Compare to the project 1, I prefer what project 2 we need to do. It is very proud that I can make my own typeface.

Week 8(16/10/19)

Experience: This week I show my design of letterform to lecturer and they gave me a very useful suggestion. So glad that our lecturers always give us the best advise.

Observation: There is a various of design between my classmates. Some of the design really attract me and giving me some inspiring.

Finding: I enjoy in project 2 because I can show my expression by letterform. Even though some of the letterform are really hard to draw out and adjust the spacing.

Week 9(23/10/19)


Experience: This week I showed my letterforms to lecturers. They said my letterforms doesn't look like in the same family, my letterforms doesn't have consistency. So I redo all my letterforms and make sure it is what lecturers wan.


Observation: Everyone already finished their work, but I still need to redo. It is quite stress when I don't follow the steps of my classmates.

Finding: I think some of the letterforms really difficult to design such as "g" and "s", I need follow the original word first, after I familiar with that letterform I can draw myself easier.


FURTHER READING

Week 7(03/09/19)-Week 8(16/10/19)
Book title:I Love Bodoni
Published:Viction:ary

For this week's further reading, I found an interesting book which is I Love Bodoni.(IMG 7.1)This book introduce a lot of design which are using typeface of Bodoni. I will introduce two design which are my favourite in this book.
IMG 7.1 I Love Bodoni
1.Editorial design for Neue Mode magazine. The magazine's sense is created through selection of unique images and its distinctive, yet simple layout. The design combines creativity with an uncompromising artistic approach, which aims at post-modernness and straightforwardness.
(IMG 7.2)
IMG 7.2
2.When our job is to travel all over the world we want to have a cozy homebase. Nectar&Pulse is a fresh startup company not only selling special travelguides but create a network of inspirational people, who want to explore the world. This poster was made for their new homebase in Munich to always be reminded to feel at home even if they are far away.(IMG 7.3)
IMG 7.3
Week 9-Week 10(23/10/19-30/10/19)
Book title: Lettering & Type
Authors: Bruce willen & Nolen Strals

For this week's further reading, I decided to read a book called Lettering and Type.(IMG 9.1)
This book goes beyond the basics of typographic arrangement (line length, line spacing, column structure, page layout, etc) to focus on the form and construction of letters themselves.By this              book I know that writing, lettering, and type represent three distinct methods of creating letters. 
A written letter or word is created with very few strokes of the writing implement---think of cursive handwriting or a hastily scrawled note. Lettering builds the form of each character from multiple, often numerous, strokes or actions---a love note meticulously carved into a tree trunk or a hand-drawn letterform in graffiti, for instance. Type is a palette of ready-made shapes, enabling the reproduction of similar or identical-looking letters through a single action---like summoning digital characters from a keyboard or pressing a rubber stamp on a sheet of paper.

IMG 9.1 Lettering & Type

IMG 9.2 I agree with this sentece
IMG 9.3 Different typefaces can impact the feeling of reading

Handwriting is the simplest form of creating letters and has exeisted parallel to lettering since the beginning of the alphabet. Handwritten letters are typically made with one or two quick and fluid marks. Although some lettering is also drawn with a few simple lines, the intent of the writer seperates writing from lettering. Handwriting is usually more casual and efficient than lettering. Where lettering is mainly concerned with the visual appearance of the text, writing focuses on putting information quicklt to page. 

IMG 9.4 The fascination of handwriting

Comments

Popular Posts